The past few weeks have seen some events that, while not directly affecting our family, have served as a not-so-gentle reminder that life is precious, that sometimes it's too short, and that nothing about it is guaranteed. Amidst the hustle and stress of life, it's so easy to forget the simple gift of another day.
So I'm taking a minute today to acknowledge some little blessings in my life. Moments that make my face smile, my heart light, and my life undeniably rich. Moments that, however simple, remind me that life is good right now - savor it!
• Bonding before bedtime with Riely over our shared love for Little House on the Prairie books.
• Jotting down some random advice to tell my kiddos then turning it into a layout I love (all in less than 45 minutes - really fast for me!)
• Hearing my niece Ella say "Aunt Pete!" immediately followed by "Woof, woof, woof!" (because, uh, she associates me with a big grey barking dog who shall remain nameless!)
• Riely's reaction when we framed one of her recent art projects to hang in her room: "It looks like REAL art now!"
• A long overdue sushi lunch date today with my mama.
• A bartender carding both Mike and I this weekend and then exclaiming "I was born in 1974 and I was sure I had both of you by a few years!"
• Giggling with Hayden over warning label on Dad's electric drill: Do Not Use As Dental Drill.
• The moving and heartfelt lyrics of the Avett Brother's new album (and the joy they bring to my heart when listening!)
Such simple things - but they combine to fill my days and make me feel like one very lucky girl. So what small thing are you grateful for today? It doesn't have to be big or monumental or complicated. Just look around and you'll see tiny blessings everywhere. I'm a firm believer that the smaller the thing you can find to be grateful for, the happier you'll be.