This week (only a few weeks later than most resolution-making peoples), I decided it was time to hop back on the workout wagon and get into a regular exercise routine. Ready to kick things off with a bang, I popped in Jillian's Extreme Shed & Shred dvd and proceeded to do both the Level 1 and Level 2 workout. The next day, I made a few discoveries I thought I'd share today.
1. Jillian proclaims she's devised a "total body workout," and she's not kidding. The next day, I awoke to my body screaming what the hell have you done to me?! every time I'd move. Areas where I didn't even know I HAD muscle (my armpits - seriously!?) were sore.
2. When your armpits (amongst other areas) are aching, you tend to avoid raising your arms. Like at lunchtime when the healthy turkey and avocado are on the top shelf of the frig, but the leftover red velvet cake is on the middle shelf. And then you'll justify your cake binge by assuring yourself that red velvet must contain beets, chard, and other healthy stuff to make it that color.
3. The obvious goal of exercise - to look and feel fit, young, and healthy - is seriously negated when you're hobbling around like a old lady. Especially when your husband is kind enough to point it out with endearing phrases like "Hey Grandma! You need a cane to get up those stairs?!"
4. When you try to repeat the initial workout, Jillian's shouts of "Don't you dare quit now!" will not be as inspiring as they were the first time. In fact, they kind of make you want to punch her in the neck. Sadly, you will be too sore to punch anything. So you just lie on the living room floor and shout obscenities at the TV instead.
5. Ice can really help ease muscle pain. Especially if it's floating in a strong gin & tonic.