When I first started scrapping, the time it took me to complete a page was mind-numbingly long. And a lot of that time was spent selecting products, which meant (numerous) trips to the local scrapbook store to get that "just right" paper or embellishment. And even when I was convinced the products were, indeed, "just right" there was still a good amount of second-guessing and rearranging and general OCD going on. Completing a page in less than a week was a feat I rarely accomplished.
Fast forward to today and (thank goodness) I've gotten a bit faster with the process. Part of that is because I have built up a pretty nice stash to pull from, so trips to the store for the elusive perfect product are rare. I've also let go of the fact that every page has to be a work of art, focusing instead on the importance of the story/moment/memory that it's capturing. And I've learned that consuming a nice glass of wine usually helps with that whole letting go thing.
One of the best ways I've found to speed up my scrapping is to limit the supplies I use on a page. I often pull out a few options for paper and embellishments, making a mini "kit" before I start a layout. Then I challenge myself to use only those items, and in the words of Tim Gunn, just "make it work!"
Here's an example of one such page. Prompted by an Elle's Studio journaling card, I wanted to make a layout documenting Riely's current faves. I had a few random photos of her taken within a few week span, which I converted to black and white to make coordinating product easier. Then I pulled a few sheets of Elle's Studio patterned paper and tags, some rolls of washi tape, and a set of red Thickers and went to work. This is the page that resulted:
S U P P L I E S :
Because I was working with limited supplies, I had to get creative with what was on hand. After selecting the bold hexagon pattern for the bottom half of my page and the white grid for the top half, I used two tabbed tags (the kraft & aqua) to matte my photos. I didn't have another tabbed tag to matte the third photo, so I used the aqua one to trace the shape onto pink patterned paper and cut it out. Then I was able to line up the three photos with matching frames on the top of the page.
I filled out the journaling card (and was having a Bad Handwriting Day, which unlike a Bad Hair Day, isn't easily remedied with a top knot or baseball cap) and positioned it on the hexagon paper, as I knew the white card would help connect the top and bottom halves of the design. I struggled with where to locate the title - above the photos? below the card? - and then opted to use the card, along with some Thickers, as both my title AND journaling block.
A few strips of washi tape help make the transition between the white grid paper and the hexagon pattern, and then I completed the design with a small tag and chipboard asterisk adhered in the upper right, over the hearts that were printed on the paper.
And within 30 minutes, my page was done! I'm still not thrilled with my handwriting, but it's legible and got the facts down, so I'm going to call it good. By limiting my supplies and challenging myself to use them creatively, I got another page into an album. Now if only I could apply this whole "limiting" thing to other areas of my life...like shoe shopping!